This Palace, named after the builder, king Thirumalai Nayak (1623- 659 AD), was built around 1636 A.D. The grand palace at the beginning it nsists of two large portions namely Swarga Vilasa and Ranga Vilasa and they were utilized by king Thirumalai and his brother Muthiyalu Nayak respectively.

The huge palace complex comprised with Dharbar Hall, Natakasala, queens apartment (Harem), Royal Bed room, Rajarajeswari Shrine,flower gardens, water fountain, and other residential quarters for ministers and offcials. The original entrance was made at the north-eastern corner of the palce.

At the entrance there was a mandapa called Naubathkhana mandapa therein 18 different kinds of musical instruments were housed. Nearby there has also a palanquins mandapa and other paraphernalia were placed.

When the royal guests entered through the main entrance, warm reception was given with these 18 musical instruments and taken by the palanquins. The palace is considered the most marvellous secular building south of Bombay.

This marvellous palace was destoryed by Chockanatha Nayak the grand on of Thirumalai Nayak. Chockanatha decided to shift the capital to Trichi and here he demolished the palace to carry away the beautiful carvings to Recomadate in the newpalace at Trichi.But his effortsended in vein

The remaining portions was destored by the torrential rain and by other natural calamities. Only one fourth of the original structure is remaining now. is told that this palace were designed by an Italian architect. It is so designed an combination of Indo-Islamic and gothic architecture and it is called as arasenic architecture. The whole of the ornamentation Is worked out in the quisitely fine stucco called Chunnam or shell lime which is characteristic of Tamilnadu

The palace was taken over by the British on doctrine of lapse policy and it used by then as barracks. Then handloom industry and hand made paper industry was functioned here. Collectors office, District sessions courts were also sanctioned in this complex till recent times. It was renovated by Lord Nappler when he was the Governor of Madras Presidency. Since 1971 the palace is being maintained by the state department of Archaeology