Even though the functions of the Government Oriental Manuscripts Library and Research Centre are enormous the main functions are as follows:
- 1) Identification and acquisition of manuscripts.
- 2) Preserve the palm leaves manuscripts.
- 3) Preserve the paper manuscripts.
- 4) Classification and Cataloguing of manuscripts.
- 5) Publications of rare manuscripts in book format.
- 6) Convert the Manuscripts images into digitial format.
- 7) Convert the Manuscripts images into Micro film format.
- 8) Dissemination of information about manuscripts.
- 9) Publishing Multilingual Bulletin annually.
- 10) Create the awareness about manuscriptology.